Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Voters pick new leader in close call



Published in Long Beach City College's Viking newspaper in 2005.

Runner -up questions process.


LBCC students apparently awarded Dave Larson the ASB presidency Thursday, Sept. 8, perhaps ending a controversial election over Andres Ramos, 207-187.
Larson has not been sworn in to office, but spoke Sept. 12 as president-elect. He would replace Maurice Spencer, former ASB president, who resigned Aug. 15.
Students voted on both campuses Tuesday and Wednesday, Sept. 6 and 7. Larson rounded up 52.5 percent of the votes and Ramos captured 47.5 percent.
"When the announcement came, I called my girlfriend and yelled, 'We did it'," Larson said. "I've learned that no matter what, if I go into this election with doubts I may lose. Doubt isn't part of the equation. You have to do it and follow through."
But Ramos said the election wasn't properly handled. "I am disappointed with the outcome of the elections and I question the integrity," Ramos said.
The philosophy major said the polls were being staffed by an individual who had campaigned for his opponent. Ramos also said the poll worker wasn't delegated by any member of the elections committee.
"There were invalid ballots cast," Ramos said. "Campaign rules were broken and no action was taken. My opponent was saying slanderous remarks about me and the current ASB Cabinet, so I feel bad that a person with an attitude like that will be representing the ASB."
The election requires the ASB president to start later than usual. Since the resignation of Spencer, Vice President Faith Oftadeh has been occupying the office. She will now resume as vice president.
Larson said, "We did have a late start and I have many mixed emotions seeing as I worked to help (Spencer) get elected. Now the task at hand is to pick up the ball and run for my team. The first priority will be the unifying of the ASB Cabinet, filling the appointed positions and clarifying the mission of the ASB Cabinet to the students of LBCC."
Also in the election, Carnell Hunt was elected as Associated Mens Student president. Six write-in positions were left blank on the ballot including ASB secretary, AWS vice president and AMS treasurer.
Ramos will retain his current position as legislative representative. He said if he is still attending LBCC in another year, he might run again for president. With a strong interest in politics since high school, Ramos said he will continue down the government path well into the future.
"I plan to run for an elected office whether it is at the local, state or federal level. I interned last year for Congresswoman Linda T. Sanchez. I call my assemblymen and state senator's office to let them know, as a constituent, what bills I think they should support," Ramos said.
Larson, who started attending LBCC in 2004, boasts a 4.0 GPA and hopes to transfer to Humboldt State. Eventually he would like to obtain a master's degree at U.C. Berkeley and write for a living. He's involved in student activities and said students should participate in and around campus.
Larson said, "Part of education is socialization."
He has been an ASB president before, winning the office in his elementary school.
"I would like to thank all the people, ASB Cabinet, students and volunteers who helped facilitate the election. I'm willing to do the right thing to re-establish the reputation of the ASB Cabinet as a respectable and responsible student government working in the best interest of the students of LBCC," Larson said.

No comments: