Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Evergreen memories


RAGING WATERS: Snoqualmie River in Washington State hurls water down the rocky 270-foot cliff known as Snoqualmie Falls. The water fall is 100 feet higher than Niagra Falls and is a spectacular site for the 1.5 million visitors a year.
John Synco/Viking

Published in Long Beach City College's Viking newspaper in Aug. 2007.


SEATTLE -- Someone once told me the state of Washington was God's country and I never truly understood his sentiment until I had my chance to visit in June and witness the poetic truth threaded within the state's atmosphere.
The descent into Sea-Tac airport proved extraordinary. It was 6:45 p.m. on June 10 and I was happy to be alive, but the first glimpse of Washington seemed to play tricks on my naked eyes.
The view was polarized. The colors in a dim sky fought through the haze and produced vibrant scenery.
Finally, the sweeping right turn over downtown Seattle left me wide-eyed and inspired. I immediately recognized the Space Needle and turned to point it out, but my girlfriend Tricia had already spotted it.
Sea-Tac airport mirrors LAX and everyone around us seemed panicked and frenzied, but we calmly made our way out to the curb and were picked up by Tricia's aunt Julie.
We stopped at her house in Renton, near the Southern tip of Lake Washington, packed up some camping gear and immediately made our way to Lake Kachess, roughly 45 minutes away. Julie's boyfriend Clark was at the helm.
On the outskirts of Lake Kachess, free camping is available. Anyone can find an open area with a fire pit encompassed by large rocks and set up a camp.
We pulled along the side of a dirt road and found an inlet with a fire already ablaze. Tricia's cousins, Billy and Kari, were waiting for us along with some of their close friends.
We spent two nights eating and drinking in a light sprinkle and towered by huge pines. One night I found myself slowly strolling down a dirt road around 4 a.m. warming my insides with whiskey. I was surrounded by the silhouettes of brush and trees, and off in the distance I could see the dim artificial light spitting from Tricia's flashlight as she discussed life and family with her aunt, both drunk enough to fall, but pro enough not to. Trillions of stars littered the black sky and at that moment "God's country" rang in my ears.
The next leg of our trip brought us east to Ellensburg where we visited the co-owner of the Red Horse Drive-in restaurant. Laurie Crosset treated us to an all-American lunch. I recommend the 1937 Henway for those people who love hamburgers layered with fried eggs.
The Pike Place Market in downtown Seattle is a must-see. Although crowds hoard space, plenty of sites are worth the squeeze.
The air-born salmon at the fish markets, the dreadlocked doughnut-hole salesmen, the street musicians and even fellow tourists are all complimentary attractions.
We also found ourselves indulging in everything chowder, salmon chowder, lobster chowder and of course clam chowder. Duke's restaurant on Alki Beach in West Seattle was my favorite. Along with Blue Moon beer garnished with a healthy slice from an orange, the lobster chowder treated my palate to a savory existence. Duke's multi-sea critter potpie was also emblematic of chewing pure happiness.
With so many sites to see, one week only got us so far. Other highlights included the rage of Snoqualmie Falls, the trout fishing on Sammamish city's Pine Lake, Bill Speidel's Underground Tour and the beautiful ferry ride through the San Juan Islands with Friday Harbor being an unforgettable stop.
I'm eager to return because I must admit, Washington, that's God's country.

No comments: