Thursday, August 23, 2007

Culture to be found in sushi, not McDonald's

Published in Long Beach City College's Viking newspaper in 2006.

A few years ago I walked into a unique Japanese restaurant with a few close friends who insisted on me ingesting traditional cuts of sushi and experiencing a new, but odd atmosphere.
After entering the dimly lit establishment through hanging beads, we were immediately greeted with loud shouts, lucid smiles and welcoming gestures. The chaos was uncomfortably long and seemed to be hurled from all directions. I took notice of my friend's adaptability then realized they've been here before. I must have looked scared because they were laughing at me. During this erratic welcome I could have sworn something was flung past my head.
The minute we were seated, the show ended, everyone forgot about us and justifiably I immediately ordered myself two bottles of cold sake to start.
I noticed for every new patron who walked in, the same circus would begin, but the difference this time was that I played a part in the chaos, I got to be the monkey.
After some conversation and delicious food, I started tuning my friends out and admiring the decorations adorning the walls. That's when I noticed we were the only non-Asian group in the entire place and most of them were speaking another language. So I started wondering about their different cultures and how some can visit a place like this and possibly feel at home.
Then I thought about my own culture and came to the quick conclusion that I don't have a culture. I tried to think of what American culture would be and I couldn't. American culture, at that moment, seemed to be a mixture of all different people and ideologies. I hated to think that a McDonald's in a foreign country would be the place I would fit in. I don't even like McDonald's.
I immediately started the discussion with my friends and told them what I thought. They all looked at me with the same confused glare and called me crazy. I tried to argue my point, but not only did they shoot my idea down, they shot it down with examples.
American culture is barbecues, cheap beer and an occasional joke that crosses a line. American culture is home made music, loud concerts and the freedom to express yourself naked as long as you have a permit. American culture is holidays and arguments. American culture is tofu versus carne. These ideas are just a piece of the entire picture.
I believe that American culture can easily be defined and now I see it every day. I also realize it's unnecessary to find American culture in another country because that's why I'm visiting, to learn. I wish more people could experience other cultures across the globe. It could make for a more peaceful world.

No comments: