Friday, August 24, 2007

Incumbent defeated

Published in Long Beach City College's Viking newspaper in 2006. Byline shared with Tina Vasquez.

McNinch loses to Bowen; Clark and Kellogg regain board seats.

LBCC can now welcome a new trustee after the election Tuesday, April 6 in which Huntington Park teacher mark Bowen defeated Dianne McNinch for the Area 3 seat, which covers southwest Long Beach.
"The first thing on my agenda is to reach out to colleagues on the board and make partnerships. I want to amend with the side that opposed me and let them know that I'll be here on campus and that I'm part of the institution," Bowen said after gaining 58.8 percent of the votes.
Jeff Kellogg, board member for Area 1, which covers North Long beach, was re-elected with 63.9 percent of the vote.
Former Long Beach mayor and council member Tom Clark, representing Area 5, which covers northeast Long Beach and parts of Lakewood, was re-elected with 55.4 percent of the vote.
"I'm glad the issue concerning equalization is getting sorted out for LBCC. I know that my challenger said I'm out of touch with students, but I'd really like to have more contact with them and an open forum with the students," Clark said.
The challenger Chester Wasko for Area 1, Jeannine McManigal-Ball for Area 3 and Bowen awaited the results together at Cirivello's restaurant in Long Beach.
Early in the night, Wasko seemed optimistic. "If I win, I'd make sure that the students, classified staff and faculty came first.
"If I don't win, I'm going to pursue this position again because LBCC is in dire need of new leadership. Jeff Kellogg does not care about the students, only the administration," Wasko said.
The LBCC Board of Trustees consists of five members of the community representing different areas of Long Beach who decide how the yearly budget is spent.

No comments: