Monday, August 27, 2007

AIDS prevention education to hit the Himalayas

Published in Long Beach City College's Viking newspaper in 2007.

Cody Campbell, 24, is double-majoring in philosophy and literature, but an intense nine-month break beginning in November is approaching, which will put academics on hold and thrust him into an uncertain situation educating kids about AIDS in a small rural village in Nepal.
After three intense interviews, Campbell was chosen to represent Students Partnership Worldwide, a non-profit organization based in Great Britain.
"I'll try to build programs for children and try to incorporate some basic government health features with small rural villages lacking in services and education," Campbell said in a recent interview at the LAC. "I want to create self-sustaining programs, programs that will stay when I leave."
An interest in philosophy, literature, travel and human aid took hold of his life and adhered.
"I wanted to volunteer and travel so I researched non-profit organizations," Campbell said. "I checked out the Peace Corps, but I wanted something more hands-on."
Campbell chose the partnerships group because it deals with AIDS and allows a solitary experience educating the young in other countries.
"I'll be by myself, so it will have a personal impact," Campbell said. "Someone from Nepal will be there helping me understand the language and culture, but I'll be the only Westerner."
Although uncertain of his final destination, Campbell said he would, aside from focusing on AIDS education, address environmental and agricultural issues.
"I don't know the village yet, but I'll be in Kathmandu for one month," Campbell said. "I'll receive extensive training along with language classes. I've started practicing already."
Campbell said he might end up in the eastern part of Nepal, close to India, in a village lacking electricity and running water.
"People are dying from diarrhea because of bad drinking water," Campbell said. "I'll also talk about sexism and hopefully empower the women. They're confined in Nepal."
Campbell was accepted to the organization after a background check was initiated, letters of recommendation were received and paper-work was signed stating he would abstain from sex, drugs and alcohol.
"I have to raise $6,400," Campbell said. "The partnership program helps with ideas or contacts, but I'm supposed to raise the money."
So far, Campbell has conducted one fundraiser at B.J.'s on 2nd Street in Belmont Shore in Long Beach on March 27.
"It was a really good turn out," Campbell said. "I raised $200."
B.J.'s manager Sheldon White said, "I've known Cody for awhile and B.J.'s does a lot of fundraisers for various organizations, so I asked my general manager if we could help out."
B.J. server Joey Rota said, "Cody is the perfect guy to go. I've known him two years and he has the perfect attitude and gets along with everyone he meets."
Campbell said, "My friends think I'm a hippy. I don't drive and I ride my skateboard. Some friends are excited, but others are making fun of me, in a good way. They all support me."
More information on the program may be found at www.spw.org. Campbell may be reached at codycampbell_lb@hotmail.com

No comments: