Sunday, December 02, 2012

A Not-So-Brief Update (part one)


Time has pulled away from me. I want to say I can't believe five months have rolled by without a new entry, but I can believe it. Time is flying by and I'm enjoying it. Plopping myself down in front of a computer to write took a back seat in my life for a while, but the urge has returned. The sun has ducked back behind the clouds this morning and my daughter is busy feeding herself, so now is as good a time as ever to update you on the life of Cinque.

But first... something stinks and that something just finished eating and is staring at me. I'll be right back.

The deed is done. 

So, this is how I'm going to create this post... oh shoot. Olive just took her pajama pants off. Hang on.

OK. Pants back on.

So, I'm going to go through my picture album and starting with January I'm going to post photos along with descriptions. Sound good? Good.


Back in Long Beach, while we were living with Tricia's mom, I used to stare at a photo on the wall showing the Seattle skyline at night. It would help change my mood during down times when I was feeling like we were never going to make the move. I decided that one of our adventures up here was going to involve finding that spot where the photo was taken.
It didn't take long. Tricia came home from work one day and told me about a co-worker who decided to take her visiting family on an extremely touristy jaunt through the city. One of the destinations happened to be Kerry Park in Queen Anne. 


I couldn't believe it. The view from that park was the exact spot I wanted to find. We drove up on a cold morning and stared at the city we tried so hard to get to. The view is even better at night. Here's a photo I recently snapped while my dad was in town:


Our New Year's evening was mellow. After putting Olive down to bed Dish and I drank some wine and watched the fireworks shoot from the Space Needle on TV. We were lucky to have a beautiful and sunny January 1st, so we headed downtown to witness our first polar plunge. 


I never found out how cold the water was, but I tried. I asked a local who had been marinating in Rainer beer before he dove in and he basically told me to jump in and find out. Next year, man. Next year – and I'll make sure to have my fair share of Rainer beer too.

About mid January is when we received our first bit of snow.


Then, after a couple of lightly dusted days, the town went all Narnia on us. 


The storm only lasted for about a week. I ended up calling off work two days in a row and Dish ended up walking to work once. The day we finally were able to go buy chains was the day it all started melting. I guess we'll be ready when it hits again next year.

In March we rode our first ferry since living here. The Edmonds ferry heads across the Sound to the Olympic Peninsula and a town called Kingston. Kingston is a beautiful little scenic town with plenty of mom-and-pop shops and restaurants. One of our favorite restaurants is Oak Table Cafe.



Wow. Up until right now this entry was a work in progress that I stopped working on back in May 2012. It is now December 2, 2012. I'm going to go ahead and post this as is and if time allows me to finish it I will. Things have changed in our lives and I don't have nearly as much time to sit and write as I used to. I miss it though. I miss documenting things. I miss taking pictures and gathering thoughts on new places we explore. My desire hasn't faded, but I feel like my energy has. I have to go. Olive just woke up from a nap, because our upstairs neighbors walk with the weight of cinder blocks on their feet.

Cheers to whomever reads this. Here's to hoping this isn't the last entry ever.


No comments: