Sunday, December 11, 2011

Traditions


Thoughts of creating family traditions have become commonplace with the arrival of our first child, the move into our new home and the first Christmas as a family. Although forcing a tradition to take hold could ruin the experience and turn something meant to be fun into something resembling a chore, I'm hoping that each December we travel as a family to the Christmas tree farm will be as fun as it was this year.


Cutting down our own tree for Christmas proved to be just as entertaining as we imagined. Like any new experience this event came with a few lessons. For instance, next time I should bring a small sheet of cardboard in order to save my pants from becoming one with cold, wet nature. Also, there's no need to bring a Swiss Army knife, because there is no way I'm going to cut a tree down with the miniature saw blade. Let me rephrase that. There is no way I'm going to kneel under a tree for the amount of time it would take to saw my way through the base. I still think I could cut a tree down with that thing.



We chose Stocker Farms in Snohomish for our tree experience. The farm wasn't our first choice. I first discussed my request with Dish's aunt and she wanted to drive us to a place near Mt. Rainer where you pay $10 and make your way up a snowy trail to find and cut down any Christmas tree. Then we discussed a farm in Carnation, which I read doubles as a disc golf course, but when the planned day arrived I was sick – horrid coughing, draining nostrils and all. That's when we decided to simply go somewhere close, just the three of us, and lock this tradition into drive.

Next year though, we pluck an outcast.


No comments: