Friday, October 31, 2008

Willem


An Evening on Willem Falls


My phone usually rings when Thursday arrives. I'm on the couch reading. I listen to Jeremy Long expel something sounding a little like a frustrated whine and an early morning groan into my answering machine.

He says my name. I wait. He tells me to pick up the phone. I comply.



Jeremy tells me it's Thursday and Thursday is boat night.
We gear up.



Willem is loaded, but backward. We untie, reverse the situation and re-tie somewhat properly, but this time we remember the motor. The necessities are packed and all we need now is some boat beer.
Jeremy buys a 12-pack of Coors Light.
We shove off.



The bay resembled a smooth sheet of glass. The weather felt cool. We slowly motored through Naples.
Pee time arrived.
We headed for the dock.
Another boat filled with friends bobbed with our wake upon our return. They were drinking boat beer too.


Conversation of drunk excursions to Catalina and water polo consumed the minutes between pee time and our second outing.
At one point I found myself drifting from the dock because I forgot to hold on.
We shoved again, but this time we followed a bigger vessel.







The problem with alcohol is that it runs out. We decided on Tantalum for a refill.




Mike Almquist apparently can cut rug. He's dancing with Rachel.


This is Jeff Craver. He's watching Mike dance with his girlfriend Rachel.



But Mike isn't in need of anyone to dance with.


He simply needs a floor he can stand on.



When we left I almost fell in the water with my camera. So I stopped carrying it.

Owning a smaller boat allows maximum entertainment when speeding through the wakes of bigger boats. But one small con appears out of so many pros. While speeding through wakes in a 9.5 ft. plastic dinghy you tend to end your evenings with a wet ass and water up to your ankles.

Though...I'll do it again.

1 comment:

grigory-never-get-there said...

you got out of the boat to take a picture of them from the colonnade? turned out good anyways.