Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Long Beach: The Last Stop



WARNING: The following post exhibits death and decay.


A contentious dialogue is simmering in Long Beach. I'm waiting for it to boil over.

Is the trash lining the beach like toxic shells the breakwater's fault? Is it the fault of urban run-off crapped out by the L.A. River? Are they both equally responsible?

What ever it is, I'm tired of living in a scum pit.

I left my apartment around 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday, June 10. Armed with my camera, I decided to head toward the Belmont Veteran's Memorial Pier. Mist splashed on my face. Clouds convened and blocked out the blue of the sky.

A perfect day.

While strolling through the neighborhoods I observed tiny details, I searched for anything to photograph, but I failed to find something interesting.

I saw small pieces of artwork in the city's crevasses. I witnessed a familiar homeless man rummaging through garbage and city employees replanting greenery on the center divider of Livingston Drive.

A theme finally took hold when I reached the sand and I had no choice but to commit.

Trash.
Shit.
Stink.
Death.

The slide show below reveals truths many of us already know, but maybe it's healthy to see in order to remember.

Long Beach is my last stop. From here I will move on to live then die somewhere outside of California's toilet.

Enjoy.




10 comments:

Rotten Little Pony said...

Jesus! It's like Dead Birdland. Not to be confused with Charlie Parker and his music. Was that a rooster?! What is a f#@!ing rooster doing at the beach?

dean said...

Sweet Nike though.

If you paired it with that amazing boot, you'd have some chic hobo couture gear.

dean said...

What's wrong with taking a rooster to the beach?
Never bothered you before...

Anonymous said...

The Pike Restaurant invites you to join us this Saturday, June 14th and every second Saturday after that for the Alamitos Beach Clean Up!

Meet at 10am sharp where the beach starts and the marina ends adjacent to Shoreline Dr / Alamitos Ave and help clean up the beach from the Marina Green to west of Cherry Ave.

Water, gloves and bags and free parking will be provided for all participants, and volunteer credit is available to those who need it!

For more information, email cleanalamitosbeach@gmail. com.

Take your beach back, repost this bulletin and join us on Saturday!

Anonymous said...

so rob... you go and clean up the polluted beach, then come back to the bar to pollute your liver?

when you do we start?

Jack Crusade said...

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/fur/724619931.html

Rotten Little Pony said...

My first thought when I wake up in the morning is, "Wow, John and Trisha will be here in (X # of) days." Today it was 4. Like counting down to Christmas! We should have made and Advent Calendar!

DG Beat said...

Tricia and I do the same thing. Now it's 3 days. I'm really excited. Especially now that I have found out fireworks are legal in Portland.

Rotten Little Pony said...

This is going to be the best 4th of July ever!!!

DG Beat said...

I agree.