Friday, September 07, 2007

Student senate rings in new school year

Published in the CSULB Daily 49er September 6, 2007.

The Associated Students, Inc. Senate kicked off the school year with an address from Cal State Long Beach President F. King Alexander and several new appointments at its first meeting Wednesday.
After Alexander delivered the invocation, he said, "It's wonderful to see you and feel the energy of the campus - it comes to life over night. There's something about the fall on a college campus, especially our campus. It rejuvenates everybody - our faculty, our staff, the alumni and the new people coming to our campus. Good luck this year and I look forward to working with all of you."
For new Senate Chairwoman Lucy Montano, the experience was nerve-wracking.
"I'm just glad everyone showed up," the liberal studies major said. "All of my senators support me and realize this is my first time."
The meeting focused on confirming new positions including the secretary for campus diversity relations in which Stephen Abanise took control.
"I was born in Ife, Nigeria, and I came to the States when I was six years old and two years after my parents arrived," Abanise said. "I want to promote diversity and create dialogue between students."
Abanise, a communications major, first attended Cal State Fullerton, but later decided to transfer to CSULB.
The Senate appointed Jeffrey Tuck as the government recruitment and training officer.
"I've held this position before and I know there's a lot of room for improvement," Tuck said. "It seems like people are excited at the beginning of the meetings and then they lose interest."
Tuck also said meetings should get to the point and stay short enough to keep people interested.
"Beach team members need to get involved more," he said.
Two representatives for the Board of Control were also appointed. Sen. John Alfonso and Sen. John Blowers received the position, with Alfonso receiving the most votes and earning him the chairman pro-tempore position.
Confirmed by the Senate for the chief of staff position, James Davis will lead the ASI president's cabinet.
"I've been an active student since 2001," Davis said. "This is a great opportunity. This position is new to me, but I can see myself filling this position."
First on Davis' agenda is a revitalization of the president's cabinet.
"I also want to get involved in city affairs and academic affairs and technology," Davis said.
Some senators said they were upset that he left his previous position as senator for the College of Engineering to try something else, but Davis seemed fully supported.
Senator from the College of Engineering Alexandra Cortez said, "I feel that my college will be underrepresented now that (Davis) resigned from his position."
College of Liberal Arts Sen. Raul Preciado said, "I didn't really like how he moved from senator to this new position, but if anyone can do it (Davis) is the person."
Senator-at-Large Erin Swetland said, "This position requires a lot of time and although I'm disappointed in another vacant seat, I know (Davis) is qualified and I know he'll do a good job."
Alissa Menhadji was appointed secretary of city affairs. Avis Atkins is the new student orientation commissioner and Jasmine Winfield was appointed for the sports and spirits commissioner.
University representative Jeane Caveness announced a change in Regulation 9, Section C regarding non-commercial solicitation.
"Although people are allowed to come on campus to express their views, the change involves the area in which they do it," Caveness said.
"The people may not stand within 50 feet of any university building where instruction or other activities are present."

No comments: